- The World Health Organization (WHO) has given new recommendations to assist nations with contacting the 8.1 million individuals living with HIV who are yet to be analyzed, and who are in this way unfit to acquire lifesaving treatment.
“The essence of the HIV epidemic has changed drastically over the previous decade,” said Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. “More individuals are accepting treatment than any other time in recent memory, however too many are still not getting the assist they with requiring on the grounds that they have not been analyzed. WHO’s new HIV testing rules intend to significantly change this.”
HIV testing is critical to guaranteeing individuals are analyzed early and start treatment. Great testing administrations additionally guarantee that individuals who test HIV negative are connected to suitable, compelling counteractive action administrations. This will help diminish the 1.7 million new HIV infections happening each year.
The WHO rules are discharged in front of World Guides Day (1 December), and the Global Meeting on Helps and Explicitly Transmitted Infections in Africa (ICASA2019) which happens in Kigali, Rwanda on 2-7 December. Today, 66% surprisingly with HIV live in the African Area.
The new “WHO consolidated guidelines on HIV testing services” recommend a range of innovative approaches to respond to contemporary needs.
- Reacting to changing HIV epidemics with high extents of individuals previously tried and treated, WHO is urging all nations to embrace a standard HIV testing system which utilizes three back to back responsive tests to give a HIV positive analysis. Beforehand, most high weight nations were utilizing two back to back tests. The new approach can assist nations with accomplishing most extreme exactness in HIV testing.
- WHO suggests nations use HIV self-testing as an entryway to finding dependent on new proof that individuals who are at higher HIV hazard and not testing in clinical settings are bound to be tried in the event that they can get to HIV individual tests.
- The Organization additionally prescribes informal community based HIV testing to arrive at key populaces, who are at high hazard however have less access to administrations. These incorporate men who engage in sexual relations with men, individuals who infuse drugs, sex laborers, transgender populace and individuals in jails. These “key populaces” and their accomplices represent over half of new HIV infections. For instance, when testing 99 contacts from interpersonal organizations of 143 HIV-constructive individuals in the Law based Republic of Congo, 48% tried constructive for HIV.
- The utilization of companion drove, innovative advanced correspondences, for example, short messages and recordings can assemble request and increment take-up of HIV testing. Proof from Viet Nam shows that online effort laborers directed around 6 500 individuals from in danger key populace gatherings, of which 80% were alluded to HIV testing and 95% stepped through the exams. The lion’s share (75%) of individuals who got guiding had never been in contact with friend or effort administrations for HIV.
- WHO prescribes centered network endeavors to convey quick testing through lay suppliers for important nations in the European, South-East Asian, Western Pacific and Eastern Mediterranean locales where longstanding research facility based technique called “western blotting” is still being used. Proof from Kyrgyzstan shows that HIV analysis which took 4 a month and a half with the “western blotting” technique presently takes just 1-2 weeks and is substantially more reasonable coming about because of arrangement change.
- Utilizing HIV/syphilis double fast tests in antenatal consideration as the principal HIV test can assist nations with taking out mother-to-kid transmission of the two infections. The move can help close the testing and treatment hole and battle the subsequent driving reason for stillbirths internationally. Increasingly coordinated methodologies for HIV, syphilis and hepatitis B testing is additionally empowered.
“Sparing lives from HIV begins with testing,” says Dr Rachel Baggaley, WHO’s Group captain for HIV Testing, Anticipation and Populaces. “These new recommendations can assist nations with accelerating their advance and react all the more viably to the changing idea of their HIV epidemics.”
Toward the finish of 2018, there were 36.9 million individuals with HIV worldwide. Of these, 79% had been analyzed, 62% were on treatment, and 53% had decreased their HIV levels through continued treatment, to the time when they have generously diminished danger of transmitting HIV.