- Osteoarthritis affects over 15 million Indians every year and approximately 1.5 lakh knee replacements are performed for pain relief and improving patient’s quality of life.
- Knee replacement surgery is a complex procedure and requires specialised training and surgical skill-set
- There are many factors that impact the outcome of knee replacement
- On the occasion of World Arthritis Day, a Surgeon throws some light on the things one must consider before undergoing knee replacement
Persistent knee pain while walking, difficulty in climbing stairs, morning stiffness in joints, painkillers becoming part of daily routine… sounds relatable? If yes, then chances are that you or one of your loved ones has reached chronic arthritis stage where the cartilage between joints wears out and bones rub against each other causing pain. Osteoarthritis affects over 15 million Indians every year and approximately 1.5 lakh knee replacements are performed for pain relief and improving patient’s quality of life.
Factors that impact the outcome of knee replacement include the experience of the surgeon, hospital infrastructure and quality of implant being used. The recent move by the National Health Authority to offer patients choice of implants in major surgeries like knee and hip replacement is a testimony that the government acknowledges that quality of implant plays a critical role in the success of surgery. Since implant cost is no longer part of the surgery package, beneficiaries of Ayushman Bharat can now opt for high-quality implants under the scheme that can help patients combat complications caused by a poor-quality implant.
What you need to know before having knee replacement surgery
On the occasion of World Arthritis Day (WAD) on October 12, Professor CS Yadav, Chairman and Senior Consultant, Joint Replacement Surgery, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, throws some light on the things one must consider before undergoing knee replacement:
Knee replacement surgery is a complex procedure and requires specialised training and surgical skill-set. More the surgical experience of a surgeon, the lesser are the chances of complications. Therefore, do enquire about your doctor’s experience and skill set.
Post-operation infection can cause complications. Hence, it is important that hospital has robust OT infrastructure and infection control system. Enquire about the infection rate at the hospital.
Know your new knee
A good quality implant can make a huge difference in helping you lead a pain-free, active life. With the advent of technology, innovations such as a single radius knee, navigation-based replacements, has revolutionised knee surgeries making way for efficient and effective solutions which may last up to 2 decades. While your surgeon can recommend what’s best for you, it is crucial to know what is getting placed in your body.
Implant quality can be ensured by checking:
- USFDA approval – confirms that the product is evaluated, approved as per the most stringent guidelines and is of high quality.
- Clinical legacy – assures that it is a proven high-quality product and is widely used globally due to its long-term success.
- Survivorship – indicates that the product is durable and lasts longer thereby reducing the chances of revision surgery.
Advancements have enabled patients to walk just hours after the surgery using a walker. Our thigh muscles play a crucial role in recovery as they provide the knee with strength and mobility. Technologies like single radius knees which mimic the natural knee motion support these muscles aiding in quicker recovery and lesser physiotherapy sessions.